News Irish News

Tuesday 27 June 2017

It's too little, too late as couple heads for Australia

Ailish O'Hora

Ailish O'Hora

Two people who will not be hanging around to see if the Government's new job-creation strategy will work are married couple Daniel and Celine McDonald.

Daniel (40), a retrained chef who lost his job in a catering company earlier this year, and his wife are heading to Australia, which they believe offers better opportunities.

He originally moved out of the hospitality industry to a sales position in a wholesale electrical business in 1998 for a better lifestyle when the economy was powering ahead.

"The hours were better and we were selling into the construction industry, which, as everyone knows, was booming at the time," he said.

But as the economy slowed down in the mid-2000s, Daniel said he felt things were unsustainable.

"In 2007 our sales were dropping and I knew something had to give. I felt if something went wrong I needed some back-up before it was too late. So I decided to retrain as a chef."

Trade

He and his wife Celine had considered a move to Australia in the past -- they have family there.

Daniel decided to retrain after he contacted the Australian migration authorities, who told him if he had a certain trade, like that of a chef, he could secure a visa.

He said he and his wife have given up on the Irish jobs market.

"What the Government is doing is too little, too late. I also have my age to consider. Maybe if I was younger it might be different -- I could wait for five years and see if the economy improves -- but that is not an option."

Daniel added that parts of Australia are booming, especially west of the country.

"I went to Perth to validate my visa a few weeks ago and picked up a newspaper. The classified ads section is 20 pages long and is published twice a week. There's no comparison to here."

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News