'It's not nice to wake up to' - Shops seriously damaged after fire rips through centre
A number of shops in north Dublin have been left seriously damaged after a fire ripped through a shopping centre last night.
The St Vincent de Paul shop received major damage alongside a number of other units in Coolock Village Shopping Centre.
There were no injuries reported after the incident.
It is understood the fire happened inside one unit in the early hours of this morning. Fire services were then called to the centre.
Popular local Chinese restaurant Jazz which is situated on the top level of the centre said it has been forced to close tonight while numerous shops below have been destroyed.
“There was a fire beside Jazz last night. Thankfully there was no major damage to the restaurant and nobody hurt,” a restaurant spokesperson said.
Gardai said the incident is under investigation.
“There was a fire last night in a unit in Coolock Village Shopping Centre last night which was extinguished within the unit and there was extensive damage done to properties,” a garda spokesperson said.
Sinn Fein councillor Larry O’Toole said “it is not a nice thing to wake up to”.
“That’s people’s livelihoods after being damaged there, and then you’ve got a very well respected charity shop out of use now too,” he said.
Cllr O’Toole said he was “relieved nobody was injures”.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie