News Irish News

Friday 19 September 2014

Italian student viciously beaten by a gang in random Dublin attack

By Ken Foy

Published 04/08/2014 | 09:32

  • Share

Gardai have launched a major investigation after a foreign student was subjected to a vicious assault in Dublin city centre over the weekend.

  • Share
  • Go To

The 26-year-old Italian student required emergency treatment at Dublin's Mater Hospital after five thugs attacked him on the boardwalk in the Bachelor's Walk area of the north quays at around 10.15pm on Saturday.

The victim has been named locally as Vincenzo Gangemi who had been staying with a host family in the Blanchardstown area for the last number of weeks while he pursued his studies in the capital.

Sources told the Herald that Mr Gangemi was due to fly home to his family in Sicily yesterday.

On Saturday night, he was walking alone along the Liffey Boardwalk in the driving rain when he was confronted by the gang of five youths.

kicked

One of them struck the student in the face causing him to fall on the ground.

The rest of the mob then kicked him repeatedly and jumped on him as he lay on the ground.

The thugs then stole Mr Gangemi's mobile phone before running away and crossing the river at the Ha'penny Bridge.

No arrests have been made in the investigation which is being carried out by gardai based at Store Street Station.

The victim gave gardai a statement and told officers that one of the attackers spoke with a Eastern European accent.

They were aged in their 20s and were all reportedly wearing hoodies.

Mr Gangemi was brought to the Mater Hospital for a deep cut over his eye and x-rays later revealed that while badly beaten, he had not suffered any fractures or other serious injuries.

"This was a miracle really when you consider the kicking that this man got when he was on the ground," a senior source told the Herald.

"It was a disgraceful attack on a man who was looking forward to travelling back to his home in Sicily after completing his studies here.

"What kind of opinion will he have of our capital city now?"

attacks

While not common, there have been a number of high-profile attacks on tourists in the capital in recent years.

Last week, three Dublin men were sentenced to between three and five years in prison for their part in a vicious city centre attack on two US tourists who had tried to stop a robbery in April, 2012.

hnews@herald.ie

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News