Irishman, wife and daughter (6) die in US house blaze
Published 02/03/2010 | 05:00
AN Irishman has died, along with his wife and young daughter, after an early morning fire swept through the family home in the United States.
Michael Glynn (48) was found by firefighters near the front door of the house in Tom's River in New Jersey and pronounced dead shortly afterwards. His wife, Heather (42), was found dead in an upstairs bathroom.
The remains of the couple's six-year-old daughter Tara were found underneath a bed.
Mr Glynn was originally from Clonroad in Ennis, Co Clare, and was a well-known hurler, playing for many years for local club Eire Og.
The cause of the fire has been confirmed by investigators as accidental while post-mortem examination results revealed yesterday that all three died from smoke inhalation.
"I will confirm that the investigation revealed the fire and subsequent fatalities were accidental," Michael Mohel, deputy chief of detectives with the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office, said yesterday.
Mr Glynn moved to the US approximately 15 years ago, but it is understood that the family relocated to Tom's River in 2006. Mr Glynn had worked as a union docker.
Theresa Meehan, a neighbour in Tom's River, told a local newspaper that the family had moved from Hudson County in search of a peaceful neighbourhood in which to raise their daughter.
"She was very cute, she was very outgoing and bubbly and she is definitely missed here," Ms Meehan said, adding that the little girl had been named after the historic Hill of Tara. "They were very close, they adored their daughter," she said.
"I was very shocked to hear of the news," Ennis councillor and family friend Pat Daly said yesterday.
"'Whooper' was a great character and fine hurler too," he added.
Mr Glynn was the youngest of six and is survived by his brothers Paul and John, and sisters Mary, Ruth and Edel.