Thursday 23 February 2017

Irish man hunted by UK police following horrific sex attacks

"Horrific incidents" were carried out while the children of both victims were present

Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

Trevor Lawler who was being hunted in connection with the rape of a woman in her home and the attempted rape of another as she slept in bed with her son. Photo: GMP/PA Wire
Trevor Lawler who was being hunted in connection with the rape of a woman in her home and the attempted rape of another as she slept in bed with her son. Photo: GMP/PA Wire

A Dublin man was the subject of a manhunt in the UK in connection with the rape of a woman in her home in Greater Manchester and the attempted rape of another as she slept in bed with her son, police said.

Trevor Lawlor, 31 was being sought by British police after the despicable early morning sex crimes which left one woman hospitalised with serious injuries.

The attacks which were carried out within an hour of each other and both occurred in the presence of children. 

Lawlor who previously had an address in Blanchardstown in Dublin is now in UK police custody.

Greater Manchester Police said that the "horrific incidents" were carried out whilst both victims' children were present and believe that the same man is responsible.

Police said they received a report of the attempted rape of a 24-year-old woman, who was asleep in bed with her young son, at her home in Newton Heath, Manchester.

The victim's boyfriend disturbed the man and he fled the house.

Police received a further report that a 33-year-old woman had been raped and assaulted at her home in Failsworth, Greater Manchester.

The woman was with her baby at the time.

She is in hospital being treated for serious injuries. The baby suffered no injuries.

Detective Inspector Chris Flint of North Manchester division said: "These are horrific incidents, during which the victims' children were present. We have specially trained officers supporting the women and their families at this distressing time.

"I know people in the community will be upset this type of offence has taken place in their neighbourhood and I would like to reassure them that we have a team of experienced detectives working on the case and we are determined to catch the man responsible.

"We believe the man was known to the women and we are working to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incidents.

There are reports that a 31-year-old man has been arrested, however, Manchester police have yet to confirm.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News