Irish father-of-two killed in New York after crane collapse
Published 25/04/2015 | 00:29
An Irish father-of-two was killed in New York after a crane arm collapsed on top of him in a work site accident.
Trevor Loftus from Pallaskenry, Co Limerick, was married with two young children.
It is understood he was the construction safety coordinator at the New York firm that he also owned.
Trevor had celebrated his 40th birthday just over two weeks ago, on April 5.
The fatal accident occurred while he was removing materials from his truck at a Manhattan construction site.
It is believed he was pinned between an arm of the crane and his vehicle.
Horrified bystanders saw him clutching his phone when the accident occurred at around 11.45am New York time.
Members of Pallaskenry GAA club, where Trevor had played hurling and football in his youth, paid special tribute to him as a 'loving father and husband'.
“He has been living in New York for a couple of years, but he recently bought a pub at Neville’s Cross, Kilfinny, in Limerick” one local told Independent.ie.
“He had started renovating with a view to returning home permanently.
“His wife and kids live in Ireland. He flew back to New York on Thursday morning having visited his family in Limerick.
“It’s terribly tragic because his child is making his communion in two weeks time.”
Miguel Sarmiento, who works at a nearby parking garage in New York, said people in the area have been left deeply shocked.
“Everybody went crazy,” he said. “The working guys — they were trying to help him.”
Firefighters arrived at the scene and used jacks in a desperate attempt to lift the heavy steel boom off his body.
However they were unable to save his life according to New York Fire Department Deputy Chief, Joseph Carisen.
Mr Loftus had served as the crane safety coordinator for Kenry Contracting of Yonkers, and it is believed he was also the owner of the company.
“The hydraulics malfunctioned, and the victim was caught between the boom and the flatbed itself,” said Carlsen.
“We came on the scene, he was trapped in there.”