News Irish News

Monday 5 December 2016

Inquest told gas alarm 'would have saved son'

Published 23/11/2010 | 05:00

A FATHER claimed yesterday his son would still be alive today if a carbon monoxide alarm had been fitted in the family home.

  • Go To

Padraig Hughes (20) died on Christmas Day two years ago after inhaling toxic gas that came from a central heating boiler.

Yesterday, at an inquest into his death, his father Cathal called for laws to make it compulsory to have carbon monoxide alarms fitted in all new homes.

Mr Hughes said in a statement: "I never knew such an alarm existed".

Padraig was found dead in bed at about 9.30am on December 25, 2008. His twin sister Emma, who later made a full recovery, was unconscious in bed in an adjacent room.

The inquest also heard how the family dialled 999 but the phone rang "for an eternity". Mr Hughes said this was "totally unacceptable".

Yesterday's inquest heard that carbon monoxide had entered the rooms from a flue pipe that fractured in the Hughes' home in Rosbeg, Westport, Co Mayo.

Coroner John O'Dwyer returned a verdict of accidental death.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News