News Irish News

Sunday 4 December 2016

'incinerator will go ahead,' says rooney

Marese MCDonagh

Published 16/10/2010 | 05:00

US AMBASSADOR Don Rooney revealed yesterday that he believes that the proposed incinerator at Poolbeg will proceed.

  • Go To

Mr Rooney, who had sought a meeting with Environment Minister John Gormley on the issue, said that a meeting had been held between the Minister and Covanta, the US company behind the project.

Mr Rooney said his understanding was that the company had shown Mr Gormley pictures of similar models in other countries.

"It works tremendously well," said the ambassador, who added that he did not believe there were any basis for environmental concerns.

Mr Rooney said his concern was that it would create jobs -- an estimated 500 during construction and 100 when operational.

Mr Rooney said he believed the issue was a political one but added that he did not see how it could not proceed.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News