Sunday 22 January 2017

In brief: Police probe death of Irish student in fall from Spanish motorway bridge

Published 16/10/2011 | 05:00

THE Department of Foreign Affairs was yesterday offering assistance to the family of a young Cork student whose body was found under a motorway bridge in Spain.

  • Go To

It was unclear how the student, named locally as 21-year-old Shane O'Connor -- said to be from the village of Boherbue, Co Cork -- came to be under the bridge near the city of Zaragoza last Friday as emergency services responded to a traffic accident that killed another man.

His body was found a short distance from that of a 19-year-old Spaniard. Police are trying to establish if the two deaths are linked.

Mr O'Connor, who was an Erasmus student at the local university, may have fallen to his death from the bridge as he tried to help the Spaniard.

Police arrived at the scene, on the busy motorway which links Madrid and Barcelona, after receiving a call that a man had been struck by several cars.

They found the body of the Spaniard shortly after 7am and discovered Mr O'Connor an hour later. Both bodies were taken for post-mortems.

Gallagher takes the lead in new poll

An opinion poll for The Sunday Business Post today shows Independent candidate, Sean Gallagher, taking a commanding lead in the presidential election.

The poll shows Mr Gallagher (39pc) up 18 points; Michael D Higgins (27pc) up two; Martin McGuinness (13pc) down three; Gay Mitchell (13pc) up two; David Norris (7pc) down seven; Mary Davis (4pc) down five; Dana Rosemary Scallon (2pc) down three.

The poll was taken before the RTE Prime Time debate last Wednesday after which Mr Gallagher was accused of prevaricating on the issue of whether Fianna Fail had let down the country. Mr Gallagher subsequently sought to amend his position.

The Red C poll was also taken in advance of the expression of concern today by the Labour candidate, Michael D Higgins, that Sinn Fein was using the election to "endorse" Provisional IRA terrorism.

One winner of €5.2m Lotto jackpot

THERE was one winner of last night's €5,178,377 Lotto jackpot. The numbers were 4, 9, 16, 28, 32, 38 (bonus 1) and the ticket was sold in the north east.

There were 68 Match 5 winners who each get €1,273; 152 Match 4+bonus (€143); 2,784 Match 4s €48; 4,196 Match 3+bonus (€21); and 43,237 Match 3s (€5). The Lotto Plus 1 numbers were 8, 11, 18, 27, 38, 43 (bonus 41) and the Lotto Plus 2 numbers were 4, 5, 6, 11, 23, 45 (bonus 29).

And in the UK draw for a £14.8m rollover, the numbers were 7, 12, 27, 34, 41, 46 (bonus 14).

Man of Aran killed in USA laid to rest

The Aran island of Inis Meain came to a standstill yesterday to bid farewell to islander Ciaran O Conghaile who was murdered in Boston, US, last week.

Shops, pubs and other outlets closed their doors and the small church was filled to overflowing in tribute to the 36-year-old construction worker who died after he was shot in the chest close to his home in the Dorchester area of Boston in what police believe was a botched robbery.

He was one of the undocumented Irish in Boston and had been there for the last 12 years.

Fr Joe Jennings, who ministers on the island and the nearby Inis Oirr, said that the family had been heartened by the presence of the US Ambassador to The Holy See, Raymond Flynn, at Ciaran's funeral in Boston.

"It showed the regard and honour in which Ciaran's family is held," said Fr Jennings, who was assisted in the funeral Mass by Fr Micheal O Mainnin from Inis Moir and Fr Padraig Coleman.

Ciaran, who is survived by his parents Micheal and Anna, brother Pol and sisters Mary Anne and Deirdre, was buried beside his brother Micheal, who drowned 11 years ago, in the island cemetery close to the seashore and facing the Burren in Co Clare.

Public meeting planned over seafront

Hundreds of people are expected to attend a public meeting on Clontarf seafront this afternoon at 3pm in protest at Dublin City Council's plan to build an 8ft-high Flood Defence and Water Mains Project along the scenic north city promenade early next year.

The event will take place at the Wooden Bridge and will be addressed by residents, business groups and local public representatives. While acknowledging the need for a flood-defence plan on the seafront, event organisers say a much more acceptable scheme is required.

The proposed barrier project will run 3km from the Alfie Byrne Road to the Bull Wall Wooden Bridge in the form of a continuous landscaped mound (or a solid wall where a mound is not practical) ranging in height from 5ft to more than 8ft.

Residents groups are due to meet again with city council officials next Friday.

Wolfe Tone commemoration cancelled

As a mark of respect to the late Fianna Fail TD Michael Fitzpatrick, the annual Wolfe Tone Commemoration at Bodenstown, Co Kildare, which was due to take place today, and where Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin was to give the oration, has been cancelled.

Dublinbikes sets new journey record

dublinbikes has just announced that members of the bike scheme took 7,052 journeys last Thursday, October 13, a new record. More than 2.6 million Dublinbikes journeys have been taken since the scheme was launched in September 2009. Dublinbikes has over 63,000 members.

Festival puts disability centre stage

Abara, Ireland's first ever International Disability Film Festival, opens this Thursday and continues until October 23 at venues across Dublin and Galway. It features films from all around the world, celebrating the progress made by people with disabilities.

DUP man held on terrorism charges

A candidate for the Democratic Unionist Party in the North's council elections in May has appeared in court on terrorism charges.

John Smyth Jnr, of Birchill Park in Antrim, faced charges of making explosives with intent to endanger life and making explosives in suspicious circumstances.

The 30-year-old security guard, whose membership of the DUP has been suspended, was arrested following a pipe-bomb attack on the home of a Polish couple in the Steeple estate last week.

Mr Smyth's solicitor said his client was being treated for manic depression and recently attempted suicide. The solicitor said that Mr Smyth posed no threat to the Polish community or any other foreign national. Police objected to bail and Mr Smyth was remanded in custody.

Company director leaves €19m estate

Pauline Fitzpatrick, a company director of Park Avenue, Sandymount, Dublin, who died on January 14, 2011, has left €19m in her will, which went to probate in Dublin last week. Pauline Angela Fitzpatrick, a director of a number of industrial and property companies, left an estate valued in total at €19,263,890.

Other wills: Joseph Flood, engineer and lecturer, Sydney Terrace, Blackrock, Dublin, €3,379,465; Elizabeth Lynch, Coast Road, Bettystown, Co Meath, €1,667,421; Pamela Rogers Crosby Moloney, homemaker, Avoca Avenue, Blackrock, Dublin, €1,550,272; Kevin Healy, farmer, Midleton, Co Cork, €1,524,425; and Michael Davenport, Larkhill Road, Whitehall, Dublin, €1,221,129.

The value of wills include property, including the family home, and should not be regarded as cash amounts.

Sunday Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News