In brief: Missing fisherman feared drowned after vessel sinks in estuary of river
Published 20/02/2011 | 05:00
The survivor of a fishing accident said yesterday he was relieved to be alive as dense fog hampered the search for his 64-year-old companion who was feared drowned after their vessel went down in the Suir estuary.
John Ennis, from Ballyhack, Co Wexford, is still missing after the vessel sank just off Arthurstown pier in south Wexford on Friday. Skipper Richard McNamara got hold of a life raft before making it ashore close to Duncannon.
The men were fishing for mussels when the tragedy occurred. A shocked Richard McNamara, a father of nine, said: "I'm relieved to be alive but I fear for John."
At one point, Richard could see John was hanging on to the stern of the vessel, but when he looked back a second time, both John and the boat had disappeared.
Regulator joins Egyptian treasure hunt
THE Financial Regulator has joined the international hunt for fortunes linked to Hosni Mubarak's associates, following a request from the Egyptian authorities to freeze the assets of the ousted president's entourage.
The request came to the Financial Regulator from Egypt last week. The regulator will first have to identify whether the five named individuals -- who include four former Egyptian ministers -- have any assets, properties or companies in Ireland.
IFA vows to ban sectarian chanter
The Irish Football Association says it has identified a fan who chanted sectarian slogans at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin a fortnight ago during the game between Northern Ireland and Scotland. The Belfast-based association said it will hand out a life ban if it can confirm the fan's identity.
No winner of €4m Lotto jackpot
THERE was no winner of last night's €4,050,083 Lotto jackpot. The numbers were 5, 17, 18, 22, 34, 37 (bonus 35).
There was no Match 5+bonus winner, but 55 Match 5s get €1,561; 114 Match 4+bonus (€189); 2,411 Match 4s (€55); 2,926 Match 3 +bonus (€30); 41,131 Match 3s (€5).
The Lotto Plus 1 numbers were 1, 2, 3, 5, 22, 44 (bonus 38) and the Lotto Plus 2 numbers were 7, 29, 34, 36, 38, 44 (bonus 35). In the UK draw for stg£4.4m, the numbers were 6, 16, 26, 32, 34, 46 (bonus 33).
Concert to raise political awareness
Three bands will play in a fundraiser for the Re:Public 2011 campaign on Thursday at 8pm to get young people more involved in politics. Whelan's of Wexford Street, Dublin, will play host to the Mighty Stef, The Vagabonds and Candy and the Creeps. A number of prominent speakers are also expected to attend. For information, go to www.republic2011.com.
Residents on alert after flood warning
Residents of Cork city have been warned to brace themselves for possible flooding this morning. Cork City Council has issued a precautionary flood alert due to a tidal surge of eight inches, combined with strong south-to-south-easterly winds, which will increase the tide levels.
Flooding may occur in low-lying areas of the city centre. For more information, visit www.flooding.ie
Actor to be buried in local area
The funeral of the well-known Irish actor TP McKenna, who died in London last Sunday, will be held in his local church, St Killian's, Mullagh, Co Cavan, at noon on Saturday, February 26. (See obituary, page 35)
AIB's €3.1bn asset sale confirmed
Allied Irish Banks has announced that the Polish financial regulator has approved the sale of its Polish interests to Spanish bank Banco Santander SA for €3.1bn.
Because of its recapitalisation by the taxpayer, AIB is now largely owned by the Irish Government.
Man, 23, killed in road accident
A young man was killed when his car collided with another car in Co Mayo on Friday night. The 23-year-old man, believed to be from Co Mayo, died after the accident on the N5 at Carrowgowan, near the village of Bohola, outside Castlebar, at around 11.30pm.
He was the only person in the car. Two people in the other car were uninjured. The victim was moved to Mayo General Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
Injury forces Riona out of TV dance
Dancer Riona Durkan has missed the television chance of a lifetime because a leg injury during rehearsals kept her out of tonight's semi-final of Got To Dance on Sky 1.
Although now fully recovered, the 23-year-old is barred by producers from taking part with Galway group Mystic Force in the semi-final. The group is just one step away from qualifying for the finals and a prize of €250,000.
Show producers told Riona, from Castlebar, Co Mayo, that she could not join the rest of the dance team in the later stages of the competition as she had missed the group's first television appearance because of the injury.
"I am devastated, but I will be in the studio in London cheering the rest of the team on," said Riona.
In a story last Sunday '€50m spent on bonanza for lawyers', an impression was given that payments were made by the Citizens Information Board to McCann Fitzgerald solicitors. This is not the case. We are happy to clarify the position.
Angry truckers protest rising fuel tax
A fleet of trucks, tractors, taxis and trailers took to the roads of Co Donegal yesterday to protest rising fuel prices.
A convoy of over 100 vehicles descended on Letterkenny to voice their anger at tax on petrol and diesel. Gardai gave the protesters an escort as even more vehicles than expected drove through the town's busy main street, beeping horns and flashing lights.
Cook sought for Irish troops abroad
The Defence Forces are preparing for their latest Lebanon mission by looking for a kitchen that can cook for 400 soldiers on an Irish diet. The successful contractor will have to provide cooking equipment for 400 people, and a dining area for 200 troops with two sittings.
The facilities must be supplied and erected by the contractor in the Irish camp. They are also seeking a hi-tech medical facility for Irish troops in Lebanon.
Scheme refused near historic house
An Bord Pleanala has refused planning permission for a development at Donaghcumper Demesne in Celbridge, Co Kildare, not far from the historic Castletown House.
Devondale Ltd had sought permission for works to facilitate the expansion of Celbridge town centre, but the planners said the work would compromise the historic main street and nearby Castletown House and demesne.