Published 12/11/2013 | 02:00
* The average industrial wage was the equivalent of €2,520.7
* The price of new houses in Dublin was the equivalent of €13,137, while the price for the whole country was the equivalent of €13,254.
* The price of a pack of 20 John Player Kings cigarettes was 39p, while Dunhill's cost 44p.
* Ireland's inflation rate reached an all-time high of 21pc in 1975.
* From January to June 1975, Ireland holds the Presidency of the Council of the European Union for the first time.
* On July 31 three members of The Miami Showband are killed in a UVF ambush in Co Down as they return home to Dublin from playing at a dance in Banbridge.
* On August 29, former Taoiseach and president Eamon de Valera dies in Dublin aged 92. The government announces a day of mourning.
* On October 3, Dutch industrialist and Limerick factory owner Tiede Herrema is kidnapped. He is located in Monasterevin, Co Kildare, almost three weeks later on October 21 and the siege finally ends on November 18.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie