Wheelchair-bound Marion Thompson fears she will be left housebound if her monthly mobility allowance of €180 is withdrawn.
Marion (57), of Fair Hill, Cork, suffers from polio and has second stage emphysema.
She relies on the allowance to cover taxi costs when she visits hospital and for routine trips others take for granted.
"If this was taken from me I would lose all my independence.
"As it is the €180 is not enough to meet the taxi bills.
"We are all very worried and in tears that this scheme is ending. I am worried that I will not be able to keep appointments in the Mercy hospital.
"I could not believe it when I heard the news today.
"The Minister Kathleen Lynch has broken promises to us," Marion said.
Marion, who is currently in respite care, has received the allowance for seven years and she depends on social welfare.
"The respite care is wonderful and I will be lonely to go home.
"But at least if I have the allowance I will be able to get out."
Marion stands to lose the allowance in four months and is worried that whatever is put in its place will mean she will be at the mercy of her disability.
She is one of 4,700 people currently in receipt of the allowance of up to €208.50 a month at a cost of €9m.
A spokesman for the Department of Health said yesterday that applications for the mobility allowance which had been received in advance of the closure of the scheme on Tuesday will be processed.
He said eligible applicants will be paid for the remaining four months of the scheme.
Applications already submitted for the motorised transport grant, to enable a person with a severe disability to purchase or adapt a car where that car is essential to retain employment, will also similarly be processed and paid.