'I can’t think of what the family must be going through' - Tragedy as twin girl (3) killed in motorway crash horror
Deceased girl's parents and brother are being treated for minor injuries and shock
Published 18/09/2016 | 07:55
A three-year old girl has died after sustaining catastrophic injuries in a horrific motorway crash.
The incident occurred on the M20 near Patrickswell, Co Limerick at around 5pm on Saturday evening.
The girl's twin brother who was also traveling in the car, was taken by ambulance from the scene to University Hospital Limerick, where his condition is believed to be stable.
The boy is said to have sustained "minor head and facial injuries".
The twins' mother, who was driving the car, is understood to have swerved to avoid another vehicle, travelling in the opposite direction of the motorway.
This car ended up crashing into the steel pole barriers separating the northbound and southbound lanes of the motorway.
The car carrying the two children and their parents "went into a barrel role" according to sources at the scene before coming to a rest on its roof.
Emergency first responders performed CPR on the toddler in their best efforts to save her, however she was pronounced dead at UHL on Saturday night.
The deceased girl's parents and brother are being treated in hospital for minor injuries and shock.
No one else was seriously injured in the incident.
While it is still unclear where the family were from, local sources indicate they may not live in the area.
Meanwhile, the local community is still reeling from the shock since the news broke on Saturday night.
Fianna Fáil councillor Richard O’Donoghue called the incident a “tragedy” and extended his sympathies to those affected.
“I can’t think of what the family must be going through,” he told the Independent.ie
“No matter what age you are in an accident, it is always a tragedy.”
“People are starting to ask how it could happen,” he added. “It looks like it could have been a case of wrong place, wrong time.”
Independent councillor Emmett O’Brien told Independent.ie that local residents were united in grief, and that they were willing to support the victims and their extended family.
“This morning, we held a cycle in aid of the Alzheimer’s unit in Adare and we held a minute of silence for the bereaved,” he said.
“It’s a tragedy when there’s a death of such a young person on our roads,” he said.
Gardai closed the section of the motorway where the crash occurred, for a technical examination of the scene by officers from the Garda collision Investigation unit.
The young girl's death is the 132nd road fatality of the year so far, and the 12th so far in September.