How some gaps got plugged
A look at how some roles in the public service have been filled, despite the recruitment ban.
- Five tipstaffs (assistants to judges) paid between €407 and €567 a week.
- Assistant secretary in Department of Education and Science, on a salary between €125,000 and €143,000. A second position was rejected. A retired assistant secretary in the Department of the Environment was also replaced.
- Deputy head for medical assessment scheme in Department of Social Protection to "provide management level to ensure appropriate monitoring of illness cases".
- 20 other promotions approved in the Department of Social Protection to "deal with increases in the live register".
- A retired High Court judge was hired on a part-time basis by the Director of Corporate Enforcement "to adjudicate on legal documents in Anglo Irish Bank investigation".
- Three contracts issued to staff in Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs to "translate documents into Irish for EU".
- Two staff promoted in the Revenue Commissioners to crew a cutter used in fight against drug smuggling.
- Recruitment of 16 student architects in Office of Public Works "at reduced salary" for an architect training programme.
- Night watchman for Department of Defence premises in Galway.
- The minister is also considering an application to appoint 10 judicial fellows (solicitors or barristers paid €50,000 a year) to carry out legal research or writing on behalf of judges.
- 207 posts in the Defence Forces.
- Eight staff in the HSE to implement a new management structure.
- Four senior management roles in the newly-created National Transport Authority.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie