News Irish News

Thursday 8 December 2016

Hospital ward evacuated after chemical emergency

Brendan Farrelly

Published 20/04/2011 | 05:00

Members of the Kilkenny Fire Service getting washed down after dealing with a chemical accident at St Luke's General Hospital yesterday afternoon. Pat Moore

  • Go To

AN emergency plan was activated at a hospital yesterday as 31 patients were moved from a ward after a chemical scare.

The incident happened at St Luke's General Hospital in Kilkenny at 1.15pm. Fire units rushed to the hospital following an alert concerning a "chemical reaction incident" in a room adjoining a surgical ward.

Cleaning agents and mops were stored in the room. It is understood a chemical used for disinfection may have caused a reaction with something else in a bin.

Staff apparently noticed a smell or fumes coming out of the bin and raised the alarm.The hospital's internal emergency plan was implemented.

The patients were temporarily moved from the surgical ward and accommodated in other wards until the area was later declared safe.

A spokesperson for the HSE said all the patients were back in the surgical ward by 3.15pm. Services at the hospital were not affected.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News