Horse show moves from regular date for Olympics
THE Dublin Horse Show will next year be staged a week later than usual to avoid a clash with the Olympics.
Bumper crowds of more than 100,000 attended across the five days of this year's show which cost almost €4m to stage, with more than €940,000 in the total prize fund pot.
Organisers are hopeful the same number of visitors will attend next year when it is staged a week later, from August 15 to 19.
"It is taking place after the Olympics," Michael Duffy, chief executive of the RDS, confirmed yesterday.
"It is the Nations' Cup and as there is an international component you have to take into account the logistical requirements. You don't want to be competing with something. You want to be part and parcel of the broad equestrian series."
Mr Duffy reported strong feedback since revealing they were considering reviving the 'Spring Show' which had been a major agricultural event until its demise 20 years ago.
He said it would be a number of years before they had a firm decision on it.
Mr Duffy said the increasing trend towards 'staycations' had helped influence the high numbers attending the show, as had special offers and online ticket sales.
"From the riders to the trainers to the people attending, the feedback has been really good," he said.
It is expected the show -- which had been running a deficit of €350,000 per annum up until a few years ago -- would at least break even or make a small surplus.
Organisers reported many well-known figures from the equestrian industry had attended with a view to buying, including the UK horse producer and dealer Vere Phillips.