Hi-tech hopes for Bruton as 167 jobs announced
Published 30/01/2013 | 05:00
A JOBS boost of 167 hi-tech positions has been welcomed by Jobs Minister Richard Bruton – although less than half will be on offer this year.
The positions are spread over six European and American companies.
The IDA clarified that 70 of the jobs will be in place by the end of the year, and the rest within three years.
The opportunities are in the information and communications technology, medical technology, financial services and digital media sectors.
• Sixty jobs will be created when 10Gen sets up a European headquarters in Dublin, with 20 in place by the end of this year.
• A further 35 positions will be created at testing facility Whitehouse Analytical Labs, in Cork, as part of an expansion plan.
• There will be another 35 jobs at IMSTech Gmbh when it sets up a research and manufacturing competency centre in Cork.
• Twenty jobs will be available at PE Lynch, a producer of trading software for banks and brokers, at its new European headquarters in Dublin.
• Loop1 Systems Inc will have 17 new jobs at a sales, customer support and technical centre in Cork.
• Further jobs will be created when Etsy Inc, an online seller for handmade and vintage items, sets up a new headquarters for Europe, the Middle East and Africa, in Dublin.
The IDA said Etsy did not wish to comment on how many positions it would be creating.
The inward-investment agency said it was working closely with fast growth companies, not just large multinationals, to attract employment opportunities.
IDA CEO Barry O'Leary said the country's reputation as a location for fast-growing business continues to go from strength to strength.
"These six companies have come to Ireland to take advantage of our wealth of talent, track record as a location for foreign direct investment, technology capabilities and attractive rate of corporate tax," he said.
Mr Bruton, meanwhile, said any of the businesses could turn into a world-leading company.
Labour PTD Sean Kenny welcomed the new jobs, noting Etsy has more than 22 million members and around 800,000 shops on its website.