Historians put names to workhouse register
Published 04/10/2011 | 05:00
A RARE manuscript with details of almost 3,000 people who were admitted to workhouses in the 18th century has been published in Limerick.
It is the only known admission register of its kind in Ireland and its publication will allow scholars and members of the public to identify a social group whose history up to now has been vague.
Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht Minister Jimmy Deenihan, last night launched the publication of an edition of the Register of the Limerick House of Industry for the period 1774-1793.
The book has been edited by Dr David Fleming and Dr John Logan from the Department of History, at the University of Limerick and was published by the Irish Manuscripts Commission.
The register provides evidence of how individuals from Limerick, Clare, Tipperary, Cork, and other adjacent places, coped with poverty, infirmity, disease and lunacy.