Heritage features to be re-instated following Luas works
Luas Cross City is currently reinstating various heritage features that were removed throughout the construction works on the new tram lines over the past three years.
Features that are making a comeback include Trinity College’s granite footpath, the Lady Grattan Fountain at St Stephen’s Green and the Rotunda hospital railings.
The Luas Cross City works began in 2014 with the removal of the Lady Grattan Fountain. Made in 1888 the fountain was situated on St Stephen’s Green, opposite the Dawson Street junction.
The Molly Malone statue was moved from its Lower Grafton Street location in 2014 and following repairs was placed in Suffolk Street.
A spokesperson for Luas Cross City said the statue’s final location would be decided by the city council.
Placed in College Green in 1857, the Thomas Moore statue has been refurbished and plans are in place to return it to its original location.
Although the removal of the Steine Sculpture, installed on College Street in 1986, was “challenging, due to the heavy concrete foundation that was poured around the standing stone” was completed safely in 2014.
The Steine has been cleaned and is now ready for its re-installment this year.
Much of the most difficult work of the removal and reinstatement of the College Green footpath around Trinity College has taken place, with granite blocks numbered and replaced in a series of bands.
The traditional curved line of the path, which formally followed the line of the college railings, has been changed slightly to “mirror the path of the new Luas line”.
There will be a “build out” in the collar space on each side of Trinity’s College Green entrance, according to the Luas Cross City project office.
This will be “finished in the new Leinster granite with a clear delineation between the original historic material and the new granite, in accordance with best conservation practice.”
The project team, Bushy Park Ironworks, has completed a programme of repair of cast-iron bollards on O’Connell Street, which date back from the first half of the 19th century. They have rolled out the replacement of some of the lost and damaged decorative cast-iron scrolls on each of the bollards.
According to the Luas Heritage booklet, the bollards were originally designed as bases for lamp posts but were adapted for use as vents for a substation in the 20th century.
A new home for the bollards is yet to be decided.
Further details can be found at www.luascrosscity.ie