Young man 'turned demonic' and attempted to 'eat pavement' after taking designer drug 2CB
A young man turned "demonic", attempted to "eat the pavement" and acted like a "wild animal" as he lay naked and covered in blood on the footpath after taking the designer drug 2CB.
A neighbour who witnessed the party-goer being treated by paramedics has told how he "acted possessed" and made "inhuman noises" as gardaí attempted to restrain him.
Students in Cork are being warned to remain vigilant after six young people from the city were hospitalised after consuming a new designer drug.
An 18-year-old man is in a critical condition and three others remain in hospital after taking the drug 2CB, an ecstasy substitute.
Gardaí were responding to a call about a house party in the Greenmount area of the city yesterday morning when they discovered a man lying in a pool of blood outside a house.
Two more students were discovered unconscious inside the house and three were hospitalised after becoming unwell. One neighbour told how he looked out his bedroom window and saw three gardaí "running towards" a man in his mid-20s.
"They pinned him to the pavement. The guy started making this unmerciful screaming. I've never heard a human being create those sounds out of his body.
"It sounded like an animal baying while stuck in a trap... He was absolutely drenched in blood."
He said what really scared him was witnessing the man attempt to "eat the pavement".
It is the first time that the 2CB drug has been seen in Ireland. Sources said that the students bought the 'head-shop-style' drug online.
All six were brought to Cork University Hospital and two were later discharged.
However, an 18-year-old male was in a critical but stable condition last night.
Gardaí at Anglesea Station in Cork are investigating the matter and believe that the students had been out in the city before returning to the house late on Monday night. A spokesperson for the HSE said that 2CB is a new psychoactive substance similar to those products previously sold in 'head-shops'.
"There are problems with purity and contaminants and there is no way of checking that what is purchased or consumed is the intended substance," they said. Gardaí are investigating how the students got the drugs and the HSE has said it will be weeks before blood tests can reveal what was in them.
HSE addiction services manager for Cork and Kerry David Lane said it was not safe to consume head-shop type substances.