Thursday 29 September 2016

Twelve cases of bowel cancer 'missed' at Wexford General Hospital - report

Published 17/02/2016 | 18:12

Photo: PA
Photo: PA

TWELVE patients who were wrongly given all-clear for bowel cancer have been diagnosed with the disease, including a man who has now died of the illness.

  • Go To

The missed cancers have emerged following a recall of 600 patients who had colonoscopies - an invasive investigation of the large bowel - at Wexford General Hospital in 2013 and 2014.

One of the patients has died of bowel cancer and others are being treated for the disease.

The recall of hundreds of patients followed a discovery by BowelScreen, the national bowel screening programme for people aged 60 to 69.

It found that  two patients who had a colonoscopy procedure in Wexford General Hospital in 2013 were discovered to have cancer in October and November 2014.

READ MORE: Hundreds given all-clear for bowel cancer now being recalled for investigation  

The recall of patients, prompted by the two cases, meant that some 600 patients were called back for a re-test.

BowelScreen said that  up to the “end of 2014” two cases of  cancer between the regular two-year screening gap were reported.

The revelation is a setback for the programme which currently has an uptake of just 45pc among the 60 to 69 age group .

Hospitals which are given the work by BowelScreen must be accredited and consultants who carry out the work have to agree to have their performance reviewed on a continuous basis.

The specialist who carried out the colonoscopies was placed on paid leave and is no longer carrying out the procure.

Conor MacLiam, who lost his wife Susie Long to bowel cancer in 2007 after waiting seven months for a test, said last night it is essential that hospitals can assure patients about the quality of the procedure.

He questioned if the necessary resources are being invested in this crucial area.

“We have a new day unit named after Susie in Kilkenny and hopefully all urgent cases will be seen on time,” he added.

A spokesman for Health Minister Leo Varadkar said last night that he  is  “aware of this issue which first featured In the media last year.

“The Minister has been briefed on the issue since early 2015.

“He is concerned primarily  that any cancers may have been missed.

“He extends his sympathy to the families involved and in particular to the family of the deceased”

‘The Minister is also concerned about the length of time the review has taken.”

“He is and is conveying to the HSE the need to improve quality assurance so that lessons can be learned and mistakes not repeated.

“He has been assured that there has been full open disclosure in these cases.’

Ireland remains heavily dependent on temporary radiologists because of the difficulty in filling full-time posts.

It is understood that the investigation found fault with some of the technique involved in carrying out the colonoscopy in Wexford.

Around 950 women and 1,330 men are diagnosed with bowel cancer annually in Ireland.

BowelScreen sends people in the 60 to 69 year old age group a letter asking them to take part in the bowel screening programme.

People who agree to take part are first sent a home test kit called FIT (Faecal Immunochemical Test) in the post.

They send samples of faeces back and they are then tested for the presence of blood.

The test results are normal for the vast majority and they will be invited to take part again in two years.

If the result is abnormal they are referred to the hospital for a screening colonoscopy to determine any abnormality in the bowel.

The colonoscopy is not foolproof but the missed cases in Wexford indicate that the failure rate was higher than normal.

 

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News