Sunday 4 December 2016

Portiuncula births review delayed again as distressed families wait

Published 19/04/2016 | 02:30

Lorraine and Warren Reilly. Photo: Andrew Downes
Lorraine and Warren Reilly. Photo: Andrew Downes

The maternity review into births in Portiuncula Hospital has been hit by a further delay, with two new investigators assigned to the process.

  • Go To

Some families have been told that they must go through the entire investigation process yet again, despite having completed the process last year.

Parents were informed that two new investigators had been assigned after the original investigators had been unable to complete the reports.

The review, which started in March 2015, was due to be completed within five months. Over a year later, it remains in limbo.

A spokesperson for the Saolta University Hospital Group said a process was under way to provide each of the families concerned with the draft chronology relating to their case "to check for accuracy and provide feedback in advance of the completion of the review".

The group added: "In a small number of cases, this process has been delayed and we are working to progress this."

Warren and Lorraine Reilly were interviewed by the review team last October in relation to the death of their two daughters, Asha in 2008 and Amber in 2010. They received a letter last week, informing them that the interviews would have to take place again with new investigators.

The letter, from Dr Pat Nash, chief clinical director with the Saolta group, apologised for the delays, adding: "Your distress has no doubt been exacerbated by the delays in this process."

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News