Thursday 29 September 2016

Maternity hospital is on course - Varadkar

Published 28/05/2015 | 02:30

Health Minister Leo Varadkar takes part in a Healthy Ireland park run at Merrion Square, Dublin. The HSE is spending €100,000 to promote park runs around the country. Picture: Collins
Health Minister Leo Varadkar takes part in a Healthy Ireland park run at Merrion Square, Dublin. The HSE is spending €100,000 to promote park runs around the country. Picture: Collins

An application for planning permission to build a new €150m national maternity hospital on the grounds of St Vincent's Hospital in Dublin is on course to be lodged this summer, Health Minister Leo Varadkar insists.

  • Go To

He was speaking after the St Vincent's Healthcare Group said it would have to pause its involvement in the relocation of the hospital from Holles Street until key concerns are addressed. They include outstanding questions over how the new hospital will be governed.

It also wants involvement in managing the construction of the new building - due to open in 2019 - because of the impact it will have on the adult hospital and patient safety.

Mr Varadkar said yesterday he was confident the timetable for the construction of the hospital will not be affected.

"There are a number of issues between the HSE and St Vincent's around issues like consultants doing private practice and salary top-ups. They have now paused their involvement but I think it is something that can be resolved and we still intend to put in planning permission over the summer."

St Vincent's group previously called for the design brief to be reviewed and expressed concerns about getting planning permission.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News