Thursday 29 September 2016

HSE-run home for disabled a fire trap - Hiqa

Published 11/05/2016 | 02:30

Staff used a hall cupboard to store residents' files, causing a potentially dangerous pile-up of paper, the inspectors from the Health Information and Quality Authority (Hiqa) revealed (Stock picture)
Staff used a hall cupboard to store residents' files, causing a potentially dangerous pile-up of paper, the inspectors from the Health Information and Quality Authority (Hiqa) revealed (Stock picture)

Inspectors were forced to take action after finding a HSE-run centre for people with intellectual disabilities to be a fire trap.

  • Go To

The Youghal Community Houses in Cork, comprising three houses with six residents in each, had the doors of bedrooms wedged open, presenting a potential fire safety risk.

Staff used a hall cupboard to store residents' files, causing a potentially dangerous pile-up of paper, the inspectors from the Health Information and Quality Authority (Hiqa) revealed.

"Fire evacuation drills were carried out during the day and records of these were seen by inspectors. However, as these were led by an external person, staff said they were not familiar with leading a drill," the inspectors' report said. They had to issue the HSE with two immediate action plans and while responses were received quickly, the inspectors needed further clarification on fire safety management.

A separate inspection report on a centre for people with intellectual disabilities, run by Camphill Communities of Ireland in Kilkenny, also raised concern about fire safety.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News