Children's hospital in drinking water scare
Published 21/04/2016 | 02:30
Children in three departments in Temple Street Hospital in Dublin were relying on bottled water yesterday after high chlorine levels were found in its mains supply.
Chlorine is used to disinfect drinking water.
But there are concerns about its potential side-effects at high levels.
It is understood the higher chlorine levels were linked to a recent fire at an ESB substation.
Children and visitors in the affected areas of the hospital were given supplies of bottled water instead.
A spokeswoman for the hospital said it was experiencing some issues with the water supply in three departments.
"As a precaution staff have been advised not to use the water from the main supplies for human consumption until further notice. It did not affect the ability to serve meals to its young patients, staff and visitors. There are a number of water supplies into the hospital but only one supply was affected."
Its water comes from municipal mains. Irish Water and Dublin City Council were said to be working to resolve the issue.