Wednesday 28 September 2016

Beaumont Hospital to decide later today whether elective surgeries will go ahead on Monday

The hospital is experiencing severe overcrowding

Sarah-Jane Murphy

Published 22/01/2016 | 09:47

Meanwhile HSE figures show there were 253 patients on trolleys yesterday,  with 185 of these enduring a wait longer than nine hours
Photo: Collins
Meanwhile HSE figures show there were 253 patients on trolleys yesterday,  with 185 of these enduring a wait longer than nine hours Photo: Collins

Management at Beaumont Hospital will make a decision later today regarding the feasibility of non-urgent elective procedures scheduled to take place on Monday.

  • Go To

All surgeries planned for today have been postponed due to severe overcrowding at the facility.

A spokesperson for the hospital told Independent.ie that all relevant patients have been informed.

"We are keeping a very close eye on the Emergency Department.

"There has been a high number of patients presenting at the ED for treatment, and a high number of these require admission to the hospital.

"A decision will be taken later today regarding elective procedures scheduled for Monday," she said.

Yesterday, all non-urgent elective procedures at Cork University Hospital and the Mater in Dublin were also postponed.

In addition, Saint James' Hospital in Dublin was forced to reschedule some operations yesterday.

Health Minister Leo Varadkar has said the cancellation of elective surgeries is part of the escalation measures agreed with nurses to ease pressure in EDs.

He said that everything that can be done is being done to ease the overcrowding.

Meanwhile HSE figures show there were 253 patients on trolleys yesterday, with 185 of these enduring a wait longer than nine hours.

The INMO said the real number is likely to be higher, as St Vincent's Hospital in Dublin did not provide figures.

Fergal Hickey, spokesman for emergency consultants, warned that the flu season, which is adding to the trolley gridlock, is only beginning and could last for another eight weeks.

Five people have already died from the effects of flu this winter and three patients with the flu were admitted to critical care last week.

There was an increase in flu cases among the over-65s and young children.

Mr Hickey said appeals by hospitals asking people to go to their GP if possible will have little or no impact because the sickest patients needing a bed will have to come to the emergency department.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News