With Halloween fast approaching, VHI SwiftCare Clinics have issued a warning to parents, urging them to take extra caution when it comes to their children's health.
The clinic has stated that they see an annual 20% increase on Halloween night, in particular those who have suffered cuts, sprains and breaks from falls, as well as minor burns and eye injuries.
Last year, SwiftCare clinics treated 150 patients, half of whom were under the age of 18.
Medical Director Dr Brian Gaffney explained: “Halloween should be a fun evening but unfortunately for many children and their parents it can quickly turn into their own personal horror story.
"We are calling on parents to take a number of straight-forward precautions with a view to minimising bumps and bruises and reducing the number of injuries we treat this Halloween.”
Gaffney suggested parents should take extra caution if their children have elaborate costumes which may cause them to fall and to ensure their outfits are flame retardant.
He also urged them to avoid fireworks altogether as hospitals throughout the country see 'devastating' injuries due to fireworks every year.