News Irish News

Saturday 21 January 2017

Half Garda protest complaints rejected

Published 19/11/2010 | 05:00

ALMOST half of the complaints lodged with the Garda Ombudsman about the policing of student demonstrations in the centre of Dublin earlier this month have been thrown out, writes Tom Brady.

  • Go To

The Ombudsman received 36 complaints following clashes between gardai and a small radical group who broke away from the main demonstration.

Up to 25,000 students took part in a march to Leinster House and the organisers later condemned the breakaway group, who attempted to storm the Department of Finance building at Merrion Row.

The Ombudsman Commission confirmed yesterday that 15 of the complaints have been deemed to be inadmissible and another has been withdrawn. An investigation into the remaining 20 complaints is under way.

Justice Minister Dermot Ahern said yesterday that Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy would receive a report and the two intended to liaise when the overview of the incidents had been completed.

He said one garda had required treatment for a broken nose while another had been hit in the face with a bottle.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News