Guests evacuated from hotel following fire
A Dublin city centre hotel had to be evacuated early this morning after a fire broke out in its kitchens.
More than 30 guests and up to ten staff had to leave the Celtic Lodge hotel on Talbot Street when the fire started at around 5.30am.
Four units of Dublin Fire Brigade were on the scene within minutes as well as a number of ambulances.
Nobody was injured in the blaze but it is understood there was extensive smoke damage from the fire.
Hotel manager Mark Adams praised the quick-thinking of a cleaner on duty for raising the alarm.
“There seems to have been an electrical problem in the kitchen, and one of our cleaners was upstairs and smelled smoke and called the fire brigade immediately,” he told Independent.ie.
“Thank God the fire station is so near, they were here in two minutes and at that stage we had everybody out of the hotel,” he added.
Hotel owner Clare Tynan said she got a terrible shock when the hotel staff contacted her early this morning to say there was a fire.
“The main thing is that everyone is ok and nobody is injured,” she said.
Guests at the hotel waited patiently across the road from the hotel as the fire brigade and gardai dealt with the situation.
“We were woken by alarms going off and a lady knocking at our door telling us there was a fire and we would have to leave,” said Johnna Julius (51),a tourist from Ohio.
“We were a bit concerned because we could see and smell smoke, but the lights stayed on and we got out easily,” said her friend Terri Petitt (26).
“It’s not the alarm clock call we wanted but everyone is okay so it’s not a big deal,” she added.
The pair have spend three days in Dublin and are due to fly home today.