'Green Rolex' pills are toxic, warn police after deaths
Published 04/07/2013 | 05:00
POLICE in the North have issued a warning concerning 'Green Rolex' ecstasy pills following several deaths in recent days.
The warning came after a forensic analysis revealed they contain the highly toxic chemicals PMA and PMMA as well as ecstasy.
Police are still awaiting the results of forensic tests in connection with eight unexplained deaths in the region that are currently under investigation.
Detective Inspector Andy Dunlop said the combination of MDMA (ecstasy) and PMA can be particularly hazardous to health and has been linked with numerous deaths worldwide.
"PMMA (paramethoxymethamphetamine) is particularly toxic. Both dealers and users may be unaware that what they believe to be ecstasy, actually contains PMMA," he said.
"PMMA pills are slower to take effect. This may cause the user to take more – which can lead to seizures, convulsions, heart attack and ultimately death.
"The predominant symptom of fatalities around the globe has been hyperthermia (over-heating of the body)," added Det Insp Dunlop.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie