Thursday 25 December 2014

Golfer granted extra time to build houses

Published 19/01/2013 | 05:00

Golfer Christy O'Connor Jnr has gotten more time to build three luxury homes.

The move by Galway City Council is a reversal of a decision by planning officials last October who rejected the golfer's application for a time extension.

Mr O'Connor Jnr had taken the case to the High Court and was granted leave to challenge the decision.

The case was to return to the High Court later this month, but the council confirmed that it had reversed the move this week.

"We received legal advice to give the extension as sought and it has been extended until the end of January 2018," said a council spokesperson.

Speaking about the decision, Mr O'Connor Jnr said he was "delighted".

"I'm delighted with the outcome and grateful for the opportunity, especially in these trying times," he told the Irish Independent.

Last year Mr O'Connor applied for a time extension for the build overlooking Galway Bay. The houses were expected to fetch up to €1m each at the height of the boom.

Planning permission for the build was due to run out this month. The World Cup and Ryder Cup golfer initially secured planning permission to build the three properties in 2008.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News