Global village: Richard sizzles in Sicilian sunshine
Published 04/07/2016 | 02:30
Richard Gere and his girlfriend Alejandra Silva recently spent time at the Taormina Film Festival in Sicily. So what else is there to do on this charming Italian island?
Mount Etna is Europe's highest volcano, at 3,323m (10,902ft), and it is possible to get close to the craters. Hikes of varying degrees of difficulty are on offer to tourists.
Taormina, Sicily's most attractive resort, commands a ridge-top view of the Mediterranean from its hillside villas and hotels (a cable car connects it with Mazzaro beach).
The bustling capital, Palermo, has Norman palaces and churches and crumbling Spanish Baroque facades integrated into a modern port city. The hilltop suburb of Monreale, southwest of Palermo, has Sicily's finest 12th-century cathedral. insightguides.com
Avoid a broken heart on holidays
Openroadreview.com has 10 tips on how you can survive a holiday romance, should your eyes meet those of an attractive stranger across the pool.
1. Understand the difference between love and lust. It might be love, but more often than not it might just be lust.
2. Take no risks. Remember, no matter how attractive a person is, he/she was a stranger until you met, and all you know about them is what they've told you.
3. Don't get emotional. A holiday romance is a temporary escape.
4. Do know your behaviour can be manipulated by very charming people.
5. Don't risk your friendship. If you're travelling with a friend, don't forget them.
6. There's no room for understated flirting. On a holiday, the rules of wooing are compressed to a few hours for what normally takes days.
7. What if you're in a committed relationship? Consider your partner's reaction back home.
8. If you do fall in love, keep in mind that the person you meet on a holiday has a life back home.
9. Accept that the object of your affection might not want to keep in touch with you. Maybe they really haven't lost your mobile number/email.
10. Don't make finding romance the focus of your holiday. If it happens, great. If it doesn't, great.
Shoes that are flipping handy
Sometimes you need every bit of space in your suitcase. Flipsters are a range of convenient fold- able shoes. The fold-up ballet flats can be worn day or night. The go-anywhere sandals are good for the office as well as the beach. Each pair reduces to about the size of an iPhone. flipsters.com
Sunday Indo Living