News Irish News

Saturday 23 August 2014

Gilmore appeals to opposition to stay silent on new public sector deal

Michael Brennan Deputy Political Editor

Published 25/02/2013 | 17:01

  • Share
Tanaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs, Eamon Gilmore
Tanaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs, Eamon Gilmore

TANAISTE Eamon Gilmore has appealed to the opposition parties to "stand back" from giving their verdict on the new public sector pay deal until it is voted on by workers.

  • Share
  • Go To

He said he believed it would be the last type of negotiations on cuts that public sector workers would face until after 2016.

And he appealed to the opposition parties not to take a position on the deal until balloting had been completed.

"I have always believed, both in respect of this agreement and its predecessor, that it's best if political parties stand back from that process and give to people who work in our public services the respect and the space that they need in order to make a decision on the outcome of these discussions," he said.

Under Mr Gilmore, Labour did not take a stance on the first Croke Park deal until it had been accepted by the majority of public sector workers. However, Sinn Fein has already been critical of the new deal.

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News