Saturday 27 December 2014

Gilligan to remain in wheelchair for months following gangland shooting

Published 16/03/2014 | 02:30

Gilligan: (John);  Judgement following recent  CAB application re sale of Jessbrook, High Court, Dublin, (20/12//13).                                        Pic shows: Recently released crime boss, John Gilligan, (61 yrs.) arriving at    the  High  Court  in Dublin yesterday (Fri.)   for the judgement    hearing .     
(Pic: CourtPix)
John Gilligan

GANGSTER John Gilligan will have further surgery for a serious injury to his bowel following his shooting at his brother's home in west Dublin two weeks ago. The drug trafficker is also likely to remain in a wheelchair for months as one of the four bullets that struck him also shattered a bone in his leg.

Gardai have warned the 61-year-old that his life remains in danger so long as he remains in Dublin.

Sources said Gilligan's options are limited and his previous haunts in Amsterdam and Spain are also too dangerous, as the Irish drugs gangs that followed in his footsteps are active there.

Sources last week said it is widely reported in Dublin's gang scene that it is "open season" on Gilligan, as heads of the major Irish drugs gangs blame him for the introduction of Ireland's criminal assets seizure legislation following the 1996 murder of Veronica Guerin.

BODY OF STUDENT RECOVERED FROM CANAL

THE body of a student missing for the past week has been recovered in a canal in Limerick. The remains of Mark Casey, 19, who went missing last Friday week, were found by divers from Limerick Marine Search and Rescue at around midday yesterday.

They were taken from the scene at Abbeylock, Corbally, and transferred to University Hospital Limerick for a post mortem.

Meanwhile, a major search is continuing for another missing Limerick student, Steven Cavanagh, 21.

PSNI OFFICERS UNHURT AFTER BOMB BLAST

POLICE officers escaped injury when a bomb was thrown at their vehicle in west Belfast on Friday night.

The attack near the City Cemetery on the Falls Road tore a chunk of masonry from the perimeter wall which struck a civilian car carrying a young family at around 10.30pm. Four people were treated for shock at the scene.

Sinn Fein's West Belfast MP Paul Maskey described the incident as a "reckless attack" and said it was likely that dissident republicans had carried it out.

MURDER PROBE AFTER BELFAST BODY FIND

A MURDER investigation has been launched after a man's body was found in Belfast. He was discovered just before 3am yesterday morning in a flat in Ardoyne Place. Two men have been arrested, a PSNI spokesman confirmed.

FF CALLS FOR DEDICATED ARMED GARDA UNIT

FIANNA Fail in Dublin has called for a dedicated armed garda unit in the west of the city in the wake of the latest gun attack in the area.

Gardai yesterday appealed for public help over the movements of an Audi car used in Thursday night's gun attack in west Dublin in which a father and son were injured. Martin Clarke, 52, and his son Lee, 29, escaped with minor injuries when a gunman opened fire on them outside the family home at Clifden Drive, Ballyfermot.

Gardai yesterday asked for assistance from anyone who saw a black Audi A4 saloon, reg 08 D 64260, stolen from the Drogheda area on March 4.

JOINT IRISH-UK SEARCH FOR ROMA TEEN

GARDAI have joined forces with British police in the search for a missing Roma girl who is believed to have been abducted and taken to Ireland.

Netradica Anghel, 15, also known as 'Neta', has not been seen since last Wednesday morning when she left her home in South Yorkshire. Police believe she is with a 29- year-old-male, Pitulan Angel, who is also from the Roma community. Both are fluent in English and Roma and are thought to be travelling in a silver E-class Mercedes.

Anyone who has any information about Neta or Pitulan should ring South Yorkshire Police on 0044 114 252 3848.

NO WINNER OF €3M LOTTO JACKPOT

THERE was no winner of last night's €2,952,533 Lotto jackpot. The numbers were 7, 10, 13, 27, 34, 38 (bonus 20). The Plus 1 numbers were 3, 15, 27, 37, 40, 43 (bonus 32) and the Plus 2 numbers were 5, 6, 10, 26, 30, 36 (bonus 33).

US FIRM PULLS 'BINGEING IRISH' ADVERT

A US SECURITY firm that came under fire for portraying the Irish as the leading nation for beer drinking and binge drinking has withdrawn the poster that set off the controversy.

Trend Micro tweeted an infographic called 'How to protect your phone from a St Patrick's Day disaster' which offers advice on avoiding phone theft while drunk. It uses leprechauns to represent the Irish and describes Ireland as "the world's biggest beer drinking nation".

RESTAURANT S CAVISTON TO SHUT DOWN

IN today's issue of LIFE Magazine, Lucinda O'Sullivan reviews the restaurant S Caviston at Goggin's, Monkstown.

However, just after LIFE Magazine went to press, Stephen Caviston told us that he had closed his restaurant. The fish shop will trade until the end of the month.

Sunday Independent

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News