News Irish News

Saturday 23 September 2017

Gas explosion blows off flat roof

The blast is thought to have been caused by a portable gas cylinder
The blast is thought to have been caused by a portable gas cylinder

Elderly residents in a housing complex have escaped serious injury after a gas explosion blew off the roof of a flat.

Tenants at St Brigid's Court in Killester, north Dublin, were evacuated following the blast at 4pm.

It is believed the blast was caused by a camping style gas cylinder.

One man had to be rescued through the window of a first floor flat after the explosion damaged his roof and gable wall.

Dublin Fire Brigade said four units attended the scene, which remains sealed off for public safety.

Dublin City Council, which owns the development, said all residents were evacuated this evening to alternative accommodation in hotels or with relatives as a safety measure following an explosion in one unit.

"A comprehensive survey will be conducted first thing tomorrow morning to ascertain level of damage and to see when residents can return," a spokesman added.

Press Association

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News