Gardai's top tips for staying safe this Christmas
DESPITE the festive cheer Gardai have urged people to stay safe this Christmas, warning people of dangers of increased assaults and even theft during December.
With swathes of people doing their Christmas shopping as well as the annual 12 pubs taking place the Gardai have released some tips to keep people and their belongings safe:
1. Drink alcohol responsibly – with Christmas parties and pub crawls taking place people should take extra care.
2. In bars and restaurants take care about where you store coats and handbags.
3. Plan your night out, tell someone where you’re going and when you’ll be back.
4. Avoid confrontations – most reported assaults happen near pubs in town and city centres.
5. Never ever drink and drive. No matter the time of the year, it’s never okay to get behind the wheel after drinking.
6. Don’t let your friends or family walk home alone – travel in groups, there is safety in numbers.
7. Walk in well lit areas and make sure you can be seen by passing traffic – hi-vis jackets and torches increase your visibility.
8. Most thefts from cars take place between 2pm and 9pm when people are shopping – don’t leave valuables visible from outside your car.
9. Park and lock your car in secure, well lit areas.
10. Watch out for pickpockets – keep your wallets safe and your handbags zipped.
11. Take care when carrying your handbag, smart phone or tablet in crowded areas.
12. Never leave your Christmas shopping, or personal belongings unattended.
13. To help avoid burglaries ‘Lock Up and Light Up’ to ward off burglars.
14. Always use your alarm when the house is vacant or even when you’re home at night.
15. To avoid tempting would be burglars, don’t leave Christmas presents in view from the outside of your home