News Irish News

Saturday 10 December 2016

Gardai quiz former IRA boss over shooting

Tom Brady Security Editor

Published 07/09/2010 | 05:00

A FORMER leading provisional republican was one of three men arrested yesterday for questioning about the attempted murder of a postman almost two years ago.

  • Go To

Father-of-two Robert Delany was left in a vegetative state after he was shot in the head at his duplex home in Tallaght in Dublin.

He was shot because he had tried to stop a pub row in south county Dublin a couple of weeks earlier.

Last night the former republican, who played a key role in the Provisional movement before splitting publicly from Sinn Fein, was being questioned by detectives.

The 57-year-old is now a businessman and runs a large profitable firm in the capital.

Gardai also arrested the man's 32-year-old son and a 31-year-old associate.

All three were held last night in Tallaght and Rathfarnham stations. They can be held without charge for up to three days.

A total of nine people have now been detained by gardai as part of the investigation but so far none has been charged.

The alleged gunman has since been shot dead.

Following his intervention in the pub row, Mr Delany had been threatened and told: "we'll get you."

The shooting was carried out at about 6.30am on October 22, 2008, at the apartment where Robert lived with his partner, Mags, and two children, at Russell Rise, off Fortunestown Way in Tallaght.

Mr Delany had looked out the window after his doorbell rang and was hit by a blast of 20 shotgun pellets, 16 of which are lodged in his brain.

The gunman and a possible accomplice made their escape in an unregistered white Honda Integra "R" type car that had been stolen from a garage on the Naas Road that morning.

The car had distinctive wheels; the front alloys were white and the rear alloys silver.

Gardai have appealed to anybody who might have spotted the car to contact them on 01 6666000 or on the confidential line, 1800 666111.

Satisfied

Last night the victim's father, Terry, welcomed the latest arrests as an indication that the garda investigation into his son's shooting remained "live" and he said the family were satisfied that the officers were continuing to make inquiries.

He said it was heartbreaking to visit his son in hospital. he particularly felt the loss at family functions when he saw other young members there.

Justice Minister Dermot Ahern and Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy both pledged that the investigation would continue.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News