Gardai probe after gun attack leaves man (20) 'riddled'
Published 15/08/2015 | 19:35
Gardaí are investigating a possible 'republican' link to a gun attack in southwest Dublin last night which has left a young man seriously injured in hospital.
The attack took place at around 6.20pm in Ballyfermot near Le Fanu Park where up to 1,000 people were attending a 24-hour charity run for the Irish Cancer Society.
Local people said the 20-year-old was sitting on a wall "yapping with friends" in Cherry Orchard Parade when a lone gunman approached and opened up with what is believed to have been an automatic firearm.
One local source said that the gunman had a "machinegun'" but this could not be further verified. Others agreed that there was a burst of automatic fire and one said the victim was "riddled".
Sources said he was severely injured but is expected to survive.
His condition in St James' Hospital was described as "serious" by a garda spokesman.
Services have resumed through Cherry Orchard following Garda operation in area. Delays up to 45 mins to/from Heuston, but these will ease.— Iarnród Éireann (@IrishRail) August 15, 2015
The spokesman said: "A male received a number of gunshot wounds to his body. He was discovered on a green area close to the rail line at Cherry Orchard. He was taken by ambulance to St James Hospital for treatment."
Gardai in Ballyfermot appealed for witnesses or anyone who may have any information to contact them in Ballyfermot on 01 6667200, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111 or any garda station.
Local people blamed 'republicans' for the shooting but were uncertain why the young man was singled out in the apparent assassination attempt. The scene of the attack is close to the spot where another young man shot himself dead only last month.
The young man injured in last night's attack has no republican or criminal associations.