Wednesday 18 January 2017

Gardai hunt for arsonist behind 11 strikes in weeks

Stephen Maguire

Published 25/08/2011 | 05:00

Gardai believe an arsonist is responsible for the 11th fire attack in just a matter of weeks in one area.

  • Go To

The latest fire, which happened in the Hilltown area of Buncrana, Co Donegal at around 3am yesterday morning, destroyed a car and machinery in a farm shed.

The damage for the arson attacks on the Inishowen Peninsula has been put at more than €100,000.

Donegal's acting chief fire officer Bobby McMenamin has appealed to those responsible for setting the fires to stop before someone is seriously hurt or worse.

"We would appeal to whoever is doing this to stop for everyone's sake. These fires are malicious -- there's no question about that.

"It is only by a huge amount of luck that nobody has been hurt so far in these attacks. But luck can only last so long. If anyone knows who is doing this or why they are doing this then they should contact the gardai," he said.

Other attacks have resulted in two vacant homes being destroyed while a school and another farm shed were also set alight.

Gardai have also appealed for anyone who may have information on the attacks to contact them.

Supt Kevin English said all incidents are being treated seriously and appealed for people to remain vigilant.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News