Gardai grill two suspects over drive-by shotgun attack
Gardai are satisfied they know the identity of the two men involved in the shooting of innocent teenager Stephen Hynes.
The two are suspected members of a criminal gang from south Dublin.
And their intended target was 21-year-old Karl Fay, who was standing outside his house at Lismore Road in Crumlin with 16-year-old Stephen and two other teenagers.
The gunman and his accomplice, who both wore balaclava helmets, fired two shotgun blasts at Fay.
But Fay escaped injury and the blasts hit Stephen in the back.
Gardai believe the shooting is connected to a dispute involving Fay and another Crumlin man after an exchange of words between Fay and the man's partner.
This argument broke out while Fay was living temporarily in Portarlington, Co Laois, several weeks ago.
Gardai have interviewed the two other eyewitnesses, aged 16 and 17, about the gun attack on Tuesday night and have also spoken briefly to the victim at his bedside in St James' hospital.
The getaway car, a dark coloured Toyota, had been stolen and was found burnt out in Drimnagh.
Searches in south Dublin and in south Wexford have failed to locate the shotgun used in the attack.
But detectives are continuing to interview two suspects, both in their 20s, who were arrested in Courtown, Co Wexford, and in Tallaght in south Dublin on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, locals said yesterday that family members had not left Stephen's side since he was taken into St James's Hospital.
"They left and they haven't been back since. They're still in the hospital.
"He's in a bad way but it could have been much worse," one local said.
Another said that fears about gangland crime had gripped the area.
"Children should be able to go out on to the street without parents being worried that they will be shot. You can't even be seen to say anything with the lads around here," he said.