Saturday 24 September 2016

Garda says local politician did not interfere in case

Jane O'Faherty

Published 15/08/2016 | 02:30

Victim: Mary Boyle. Pic Tom Burke
Victim: Mary Boyle. Pic Tom Burke

A retired garda who investigated the disappearance of schoolgirl Mary Boyle says a local politician did not contact the gardaí in relation to the investigation.

  • Go To

In a sworn statement to a solicitor, retired Detective Sergeant Aidan Murray said that at no stage during his investigation into the disappearance of the little girl in Donegal was he subjected to "interference" or "pressure".

Mr Murray says Fianna Fáil councillor Sean McEniff "did not make any phone or contact the gardai in relation to the investigation".

Last month, Councillor McEniff "emphatically and unconditionally" denied the "rumour and innuendo" related to a video recently posted to YouTube named 'Mary Boyle, The Untold Story'.

A statement issued on behalf of the Donegal County Councillor with more than 40 years service said: "Mr McEniff emphatically and unconditionally denies that he was the politician who allegedly contacted the gardaí in Ballyshannon at the time of the disappearance of Mary Boyle.

"He has no knowledge of such a call other than what he has heard recently on what was contained in the video 'Mary Boyle, The Untold Story'."

In the video it is suggested there was pressure put on local authorities by a politician to not properly investigate certain suspects in relation to the disappearance of six-year-old Mary Boyle in 1977.

Read more: Sean McEniff says he is not politician at the centre of Mary Boyle documentary

Mr McEniff also asserted his right to a good name and said he had taken legal advice in relation to what he says are defamatory comments "made both directly and by innuendo".

He alleges that comments and statements made in relation to the issue are false, malicious and damaging to him.

Mr Murray also says his two senior officers were "honourable and professional men" and "at no point attempted to influence" him in the conduct of the investigation. He also alleged the documentary had taken a number of his comments out of context, in a way that created "the wrong impression".

It comes just after retired Sgt Martin Collins emphatically told a local Donegal newspaper that there had been no political or garda cover-up.

Both men were interviewed as part of a documentary.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News