Sunday 25 September 2016

Gardaí question son (20) as man dies after being stabbed in leg during row

Ken Foy and Martin Grant

Published 28/01/2016 | 02:30

Gardaí at the scene on Frederick Avenue in Carlow. Colin O'Riordan
Gardaí at the scene on Frederick Avenue in Carlow. Colin O'Riordan
The dead man, Marcus ‘Murt’ Brennan

Gardaí investigating the death of a man following a stabbing incident were last night questioning his 20-year-old son.

  • Go To

Marcus 'Murt' Brennan (46) died following the incident at a house on Frederick Avenue in Carlow town at around 1.30pm yesterday.

It is understood Mr Brennan had been involved in a heated argument before he was stabbed in the leg. A number of people are understood to have been in the house at the time.

His son, Marcus Hannon, who works as a hotel kitchen porter, was arrested at the scene and was helping gardaí with their enquiries last night.

"This is a very tragic incident and what happened here, happened in the heat of the moment," a source said.

Mr Brennan had numerous previous convictions and was very well known to gardaí.

However, sources said the dead man was "not the worst of them".

"This unfortunate man was no criminal mastermind.

"He was in trouble for most of his adult life but all his problems related to his drug addiction," a source said.

Mr Brennan had served a number of prison sentences, including a three-year term which was imposed at Kilkenny Circuit Court in February 2005 for stealing over €6,000 while armed with a hammer at the Kilkenny branch of EBS.

He was also previously given a four-year sentence for robbery at Naas Circuit Court and was serving a separate three-and-a-half year term for robbery in 1998, when he launched a High Court challenge to the legality of his detention at Portlaoise Prison because of what he claimed were degrading conditions in the jail.

In recent times, Mr Brennan had been involved in a low-level dispute with other criminal elements in Carlow town. He was due before the local courts again in March, where he was facing charges of possession of a knife, criminal damage and burglary.

Forensic investigators were combing the scene last night to piece together the events leading up to the stabbing.

It is expected that the State Pathologist will conduct an examination early this morning. Senior officers will then decide whether the incident should be upgraded to a murder.

A senior source said toxicology tests will be important in how the investigation proceeds.

A team of gardaí were conducting door-to-door interviews last night.

Neighbours on Frederick Avenue said they were shaken by the incident.

"It's very shocking and frightening. I didn't know what happened," said Rocio Thompson, who lives two doors from where the incident happened.

"I was frightened because I have young children and didn't know what to do.

"I moved into the estate last October and it is really quiet. People keep to themselves," the mother-of-two told the Irish Independent last night.

"It's very shocking and frightening. I didn't know what happened. I just came out and saw the gardaí."

A garda spokesman said officers were called to a house on Frederick Avenue at around 1.30pm.

"On arrival, gardaí discovered a 46-year-old male seriously injured and he was later pronounced dead. A male in his 20s was arrested a short time later and he is currently detained under the provisions of Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984 at Carlow Garda Station."

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News