independent

Thursday 17 April 2014

Frances Fitzgerald denies referendum campaign was a ‘stunt’

Children's Minister Frances Fitzgerald

CHIILDREN’S Minister Frances Fitzgerald has denied the Government’s botched referendum information campaign was a stunt.



The minister says she cannot answer questions on the Supreme Court ruling against the information leaflet because the result of the referendum is being challenged in the courts.



“I have no wish and I will not prejudice the case,” she said.



Fianna Fail children’s spokesman Robert Troy said it had taken six weeks for the minister for answer questions in the Dail on the issue and he wanted to know who signed off on the content of the leaflet.



But Ms Fitzgerald defended her position and rejected Mr Troy’s accusation it was a “stunt”.



“It certainly was not,” she said.



In its detailed ruling on the controversial referendum campaign last week, the judges in the highest court in the land said the Government had “failed to hold the scales equally between both sides”.



The Government was “in effect campaigning” by the use of certain phrases and questions like why a referendum was needed.

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Independent.ie on Twitter

More

Most Read

Daily Deals

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News