Wednesday 29 March 2017

Former Garda boss denies probe claim

Former assistant Garda commissioner Derek Byrne
Former assistant Garda commissioner Derek Byrne
Tom Brady

Tom Brady

Former assistant Garda commissioner Derek Byrne has denied claims he is submitting a file to Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald for a special investigation into the Garda organisation.

Reports circulating for the past month suggested Mr Byrne was using his right under section 42 of the Garda Síochána Act to call on the minister to hold an inquiry into issues that he intended to raise in his submission.

Mr Byrne retired from his post as head of the Garda national support services at the end of last month.

He took up a new position yesterday as commissioner of police with the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service.

Sources close to Mr Byrne said last night the reports were totally untrue and he was not preparing any report or making any submission.

At his retirement function 10 days ago, he said he had enjoyed 37 marvellous years as a member of the Garda and wished the organisation every success in the future.

He said he was looking forward to new challenges during his four-year tenure in the Cayman Islands and wanted a clean break.

Shortly before he left the Garda, he had an audience with Pope Francis after completing his work as head of the Santa Marta project to combat human trafficking and modern day slavery, particularly in the North Atlantic fishing industry.

He was described by Mr Justice Kevin O'Higgins in his report into the Garda last year as a man of integrity.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News