Tuesday 17 October 2017

Food-safety inspectors find rat, cockroach infestations

The Spar shop at 23 Upper Baggot Street in Dublin was issued with a closure order on September 27. The order was lifted the following day
The Spar shop at 23 Upper Baggot Street in Dublin was issued with a closure order on September 27. The order was lifted the following day
Luke Byrne

Luke Byrne

Ten food businesses were closed for issues that included rat and cockroach infestation in September, it has emerged.

The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) has released details of the closure orders served on businesses.

For the first time, the FSAI also released copies of the HSE environmental officer inspector reports that led to the closures, as part of its announcement.

Among those closure orders were two that lasted for just one day.

The Spar shop at 23 Upper Baggot Street in Dublin was issued with a closure order on September 27. The order was lifted the following day.

"A grave and immediate danger to food supply exists in this food business due to the significant rodent infestation.

"Rats can transmit dangerous pathogens through their droppings and urine," the inspector said. "A significant number of rat droppings found in the basement and some droppings found on the shop floor.

"Pest-proofing issues exist throughout the premises. Risk of contamination of food products exist," the report found.

Chens Oriental Taste, in Rochfortbridge, Co Westmeath, also had its closure order lifted after a day. It had been served with the notice on September 28, due to a list of issues.

Among the problems were boxes of raw chicken stored on the dirty floor of the lobby, adjacent to tools and cleaning chemicals, posing a risk of contamination.

The report also identified a leaking ceiling in the kitchen area and missing wall tiles.

Indian restaurant Akash, on George's Avenue in Blackrock, Dublin was also served with a closure order after the kitchen was found to have an infestation of cockroaches. Its closure order was issued on September 26 and was lifted on October 6.

Corrib Catering, Leisureland, Salthill, Galway, was served a closure order after cases of the norovirus, better known as the winter-vomiting bug, were linked to people to whom it had supplied food.

The premises was closed from September 5 to 12.

Irish Independent

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News