Saturday 10 December 2016

Fishermen in 'stable condition' after being overwhelmed by fumes

Published 24/08/2015 | 22:11

The pair are being treated at Letterkenny General Hospital after they were found unconscious inside the ship’s refrigeration unit in Killybegs, County Donegal
The pair are being treated at Letterkenny General Hospital after they were found unconscious inside the ship’s refrigeration unit in Killybegs, County Donegal

Two fishermen remain in a stable but serious condition after they were overcome by fumes while cleaning a trawler earlier today.

  • Go To

The pair are being treated at Letterkenny General Hospital after they were found unconscious inside the ship’s refrigeration unit in Killybegs, County Donegal.

The alarm was raised around 2pm after the men, aged 27 and 46, were reportedly overcome by carbon monoxide fumes while working inside the vessel.

One of the men is from Galway and the other is believed to be a foreign national.

It is understood the men were cleaning tanks in a refrigeration unit when the Galway man fell into the hold – which contained ammonia and hydrogen sulphide.

The other man was overcome with fumes when he tried to aid his crew-mate after calling for help from those nearby.

"I understand both men are critical and everyone is praying they are going to be ok," said Killybegs-based independent councillor Niamh Kennedy.

"One of the men was overcome by fumes on board the vessel. The second man was also found unconscious when he went to help."

The scene has been preserved by Gardaí, pending the arrival of officials from the Health and Safety Authority.

The HSA told Independent.ie that they “were aware of the incident” and that an investigation was underway.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News