Fire safety audit - ordered in wake of Carrickmines fire - finds fire safety issues in Traveller homes
Published 21/09/2016 | 20:54
A fire safety audit – which was ordered after last year’s devastating Carrickmines tragedy – has found that over 80pc of the Traveller units inspected had no smoke alarm or fire blanket.
Five adults and five children perished when a blaze broke out on their halting site in Carrickmines, South Dublin last October.
Willie Lynch (25) and Tara Gilbert (27) died alongside their daughters Kelsey and Jodie. Tara was four months pregnant. A brother of Willie Lynch, Jimmy (39), also died.
Thomas Connors (27) and his wife Sylvia (25) and their children Jim (5), Christy (2) and six-month-old Mary also lost their lives in the fire.
More than 2,000 units were audited for the report which has been published by the National Directorate for Fire and Emergency Management.
Some 80pc of the units audited did not have a smoke alarm, while 86pc did not have a fire blanket and 83pc did not have a carbon monoxide alarm.
Auditors emphasised that remedial work has now been carried out in many of the units highlighted by the report. However, they emphasisd that more work needs to be carried out.