Wednesday 18 October 2017

FF candidate denies taking Bertie video off YouTube

Michael Brennan Deputy Political Editor

FIANNA Fail's by-election candidate Thomas Byrne has denied he was responsible for the withdrawal of an internet video featuring him and former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern.

The Meath East candidate previously got the backing of Mr Ahern at a rally during the 2007 General Election.

But a video of the event was taken down off YouTube this week, with the site stating that the person who uploaded it had closed their account.

A spokesman for Mr Byrne said neither he nor Fianna Fail had sought to remove any "historical videos" from the internet, including the 2007 general election rally attended by Mr Ahern in the village of Drumconrath on the Louth-Meath border.

Record

There is also a record in the 'Drogheda Independent' of another event during Mr Byrne's general election campaign, which was attended by Mr Ahern.

Mr Byrne featured Mr Ahern on his 2007 general election campaign literature, in which he successfully won a seat in Meath East. He also paid tribute to Mr Ahern when he announced his resignation from office in 2008.

But Mr Byrne was one of the first in Fianna Fail to criticise Mr Ahern last year when the Mahon Tribunal report found the former Taoiseach could not "truthfully" explain the source of IR£215,000 (€275,000) in various accounts.

Mr Byrne said it was "difficult to see" how Mr Ahern could continue as a member of the party. Mr Ahern subsequently resigned as a member of Fianna Fail.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News