News Irish News

Sunday 11 December 2016

Fatal stabbing victim second son in family to die tragically

Majella O'Sullivan and Ralph Riegel

Published 21/01/2012 | 05:00

A MAN who was stabbed to death in a frenzied attack on Thursday night had only lost his brother in tragic circumstances over a year ago.

  • Go To

Jonathan Kenneally Daly (24), of Bride Valley View, Fairhill, Cork, died following a row outside a house on the Cork Road in Passage West on Thursday.

He was found in a pool of blood at about 11.50pm outside an apartment where he had been visiting. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

A 23-year-old man who was known to him was arrested close to the scene soon afterwards.

It is understood Mr Daly had sustained multiple stab wounds to the chest and abdomen.

Last night, gardai in Togher were continuing to question a man in relation to the incident.

They are not looking for anyone else in connection with the death and they have recovered what they believe is the murder weapon.

Yesterday, Mr Daly's parents, Tim and Theresa, were coming to terms with the shock of losing a second son in such a short space of time.

Their older son, Philip, died unexpectedly in July 2010. His distraught father spoke briefly to the Irish Independent but appealed for privacy for Jonathan's brothers Anthony, Christopher and Peter and his two young sisters Chrystal (7) and Jasmin (3).

"My head's all over the place," said Mr Daly, who identified his son's body at Cork University Hospital (CUH), where a post-mortem examination was carried out by assistant state pathologist Margaret Bolster earlier that day.

A steady stream of visitors, including neighbours and friends, called to the family home in Fairhill on the north side of the city to offer their condolences.

Neighbours expressed their shock at how the family could be rocked by a second tragedy in such a short space of time.

The events of Thursday night have shocked the entire community. Passage West mayor Seamus McGrath said they were "out of character" for the town.

"There is a huge sense of shock and disbelief that such a terrible thing has happened in our town, an area with such a low crime rate," Mr McGrath said.

He said the town council had just heard at a joint policing meeting earlier this week that crime levels had remained low, although the town is less than 17km from the city centre.

Local people living on Cork Road only became aware of the tragic incident when they saw the ambulance lights late on Thursday night.

One neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said she had been sitting in the front room of her house with her mother but had not heard any disturbance.

"It's appalling that something like this happened and we didn't hear a thing. It must have happened inside and then just spilled out on to the street," she said.

The neighbour added that she would have been vaguely familiar with the people living in the rented flat from seeing them around the town but didn't know them personally.

"A lot of people come and go from those flats," she said.

Last night, friends left floral tributes and two cans of Budweiser beer against a wall on Cork Road close to where the young man's body had lain.

Messages declared he was "one of a kind" that he was "lost forever" and would be missed always.

• Meanwhile, gardai investigating the murder of a man in Limerick earlier this week have recovered the weapon used in the savage attack.

Officers think Gerard McMahon (43) may have been stabbed to death by a love rival.

A search for the knife used in the attack had been concentrated around a block of houses at the junction of Lenihan Avenue and Hyde Road in the Prospect area of the city since the early hours of Wednesday. CCTV footage is also being examined.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News