Farmer dies after tractor rolls back on top of him
Published 21/04/2014 | 02:30
AN investigation is under way following the death of a pensioner in a suspected farming accident in Co Donegal at the weekend.
Patrick Crumlish (79) was killed when his tractor rolled back on top of him and crushed him against a concrete wall on Saturday. Gardai believe Mr Crumlish was unhitching a trailer from his tractor when the tragedy occurred at around 5.25pm at his farm in Glenagivney on the Inishowen peninsula.
IRISH WOMAN ATTACKED
AN elderly man has been arrested following the alleged sexual assault of a 30-year-old Irish woman at a railway station in India.
It is understood the woman was resting in a waiting room at Bangalore station. Soon after the attack last Thursday, the police arrested the man, who is understood to be a religious evangelist. The Irish woman asked a security guard to provide her with a blanket as she was feeling cold. When her request was refused, the accused moved closer to her, offering her his blanket. She said that when she declined to take it, he forcefully put it on her, and then hugged her and held her shoulder tightly. However, she managed to free herself and raise the alarm.
MAN HELD OVER DRUGS
A POLISH man arrested in relation to a €300,000 drugs seizure has been remanded in custody.
Robert Duza (45), with an address at Tuam Road, Mountbellew, Co Galway, was arrested and detained following the seizure of €300,000 of cannabis plants and herb at a house in Mountbellew on Saturday. He appeared before a special sitting of Loughrea District Court yesterday where he was remanded in custody to appear again at Harristown District Court next Friday.
EXPLOSIVE MADE SAFE
AN Army Bomb Disposal team made a viable improvised explosive device safe after it was discovered in Dublin.
The Defence Forces deployed the Explosive Ordnance Disposal team after a suspect device was found in the Glenshane area of Jobstown, Tallaght. The device was made safe without a controlled explosion.
FESTIVAL FOR FOODIES
UP to 70,000 people descended on Galway over the bank holiday weekend where they enjoyed al fresco dining in the dazzling sunlight.
The crowds for the third annual Galway Food Festival far exceeded expectations as families made the most of the good weather. "We had 60,000 visitors through last year and we're definitely up 15pc on that already," said a spokesperson for the festival.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie